This will be a simple, do's and don'ts blog. If you are doing any of the don'ts... Stop. IMMEDIATELY. Let's Begin.
1. Don't try to have a conversation with them while they are actively spinning. (Duh)
2. Don't make your FIRST communication with them be about them playing your music.
Why? Well imagine this. You're a popular DJ that gets literally 100 artist messaging you a day about how they are "The hottest in the city" (95% of them are not). Your inbox is constantly being flooded with music, and most of those artists don't follow you on social media or do anything for your brand. So why would you check for them?
3. Stop getting mad when they ignore you. Don't take it personal. Read point #2 again. They are most likely just really busy.
4. Stop harassing them just because they are not playing your music.
5. Stop trying to "Buy" a DJ's support. If you're paying them to play your song on their station or in the club... the moment you stop, their support will usually stop.
(Please note that this is different from having a radio budget and having a campaign. For a song to blow up on radio, a budget is a necessity. However, we are speaking of paying ONE DJ to play your song.)